Monday, January 14, 2013

The time has come

Yes, the time has come – the time to start coloring my hair. Bleh.

If you could get a good look at me, you’d probably say, “Nah, you can wait.” But I know it’s time.

I remember when my hairdresser found my first gray hair. You’d have thought he had found a third ear judging from the look of horror on his face accompanied by an over-dramatic gasp. Just as I was beginning to think I, in fact, had a third ear back there somewhere he said in the most solemn tone, “A gray hair”. Is that all? I thought.  Jeez, what an overreaction. They’re not contagious. “Pull it or leave it?” he asked. “Pull it,” I replied and that has been my stance ever since.

Not that I don’t like gray hair. Gray hair can look elegant, distinguished, even regal…on you. Not on me. Your gray hair I like. Mine, not so much. I know, boo hoo, Chris, so you have a couple of stray grays. At least you still have hair. Yes, that’s true and I am not complaining, really, ok, just a bit. I do feel lucky to have such a thick head of hair and to have avoided coloring my hair for this long. I have friends who have been covering their gray since their late 20s. I have been able to eek an extra decade out of my chocolate brown locks…ok, plain old brown hair.

Why the sudden need to do something with my hair? I’m not sure. I don’t have any monumental birthdays coming up nor do I have any important events to attend. Maybe a comment from one of my students got me to thinking…

First, I shall state for the record that I am not especially fashionable. I shall add to that statement that I am not especially unfashionable either. Ok, let’s face it, I buy whatever is on sale at ZARA, H&M and Reserved, oh and Tatuum. We cannot forget Tatuum. So that doesn’t make me much of a fashionista (or fascist as Joey on Friends said) but I am clean and ironed and presentable enough. I did have a consultation once with a stylist. What was here advice? I don’t know. I stopped listening to her after she told me that I should hit the gym and lose an amount of weight that would put me in 40-something kilo range.

But coming back to my student, the conversation went something like this…

Student, relaxed president of company: Chris, I really enjoy the company of women like you.

Hoo, hoo. Ho, ho. “Women like you”. Very cool. I had a lot of ideas of what “like you” could mean going through my head. All positives of course.

Student: Yes, women like you who don’t care about their looks.

Bleh.

Making appointment. How to say “cut and color” in Polish?

12 comments:

Kasiu said...

cutingt - cięcie / obcięcie / podcięcie (just a little) / strzyżenie

dyeing - farbowanie

to cut - obciąć / ostrzyc

to dye - zafarbować




cloudik said...

"Strzyżenie i farbowanie".

And make sure that your definition of a cm is the same as the hairdresser's ;)

Northern.Sky said...

Very true what Cloudik wrote. You tell them 2cm, they cut 4;)

Anonymous said...

cut & color in Polish is "rżnij i farbuj" ;)

Ingwen said...

And what color are you thinking of? Something crazy?
And.. seriously? No healthy adult should weigh 40 something kilos! :D I would stop listening too.

Chris said...

Thank you for all the vocabulary. I will soon be putting it to good use. Oh how I would love to say "rżnij i farbuj" but it is the rż combo which trips me up :)

I am thinking of the very exciting shade of brown which already exists (still in the majority) on my head. I'm definitely not a blond, black is too harsh for me and I don't think any red (shades of Polish autumn) would suit me either. I could maybe pull off a caramel. Is just coloring the gray the same as farbowanie? I'm afraid I would have a lot of questions in the US too as I am not experienced in coloring my hair.

Kasiu said...

if you are going to color whole your hair it will be "farbowanie"

I've just found another word - "Koloryzacja" http://www.lovelylook.com/lovely-kolor.html

Anyways the hairdresser will put the color all over you head, so it doesn't matter if you have gray hair or not


I also choose brown colors, they look natural :)

Anonymous said...

I normally don't comment on your blog - but you can try a hairdresser that is in Skytower. Just ask for Kamil He is awsome.

Cheers,
Snufkin

czarownica said...

Consider also adding few highlights or so-called balejaż. If you go for one shade all over your head and your hair grows fast, you will have to go every month to have roots dyed.
I've got a wonderful Polish hairdresser, she's never used the same shade for a year, she's mixing them and matching what's left on my hair from the previous time instead of covering the whole hair every time - which in my case would be bl... expensive.

Unknown said...

Dear Chris

My name is Meri and I work for the language portal http://bab.la.

True to our five year long tradition, we at bab.la Gmbh are hosting the IX-competition to find the 100 most exciting, inspiring, open-minded bloggers write about international exchange and experience. It would make us very happy if you decide to participate in "IX13" (International eXchange and eXperience 2013)

Please email me if you are interested in the competition under meri[at]bab.la ; and I will send you an email with more information about nomination and voting.

All the best!
Meri

Chris said...

Snufkin - Thanks for the info. I'm considering taking your advice. Maybe I'll make an appointment during winter break. Oh, and feel free to comment anytime.

Czar- You must have read my mind because I was just thinking how my thick head of hair would look in one solid color. Probably something like a helmet.

Meri- I have sent you an e-mail and am looking forward to your reply. Thank you for considering Kielbasa Stories.

Anonymous said...

Chris - it's worth trying:) and thank you for trust, and I hope you won't be disappointed. But please, try NOT to tell rznij i farbuj though, haha